Saturday, October 15, 2016

Exotic Reptile Skin bags care and upkeep



 
Time to pull out your party bags in alligator and crocodile  The cool weather is upon us which means you might be having some parties coming up and the chance to wear your party sized bags
So with that in mind I think it would be a good time to get to taking care of your exotic reptile skin bags .I find that the most important things  to keep these skins in good shape is keep them away from extended periods of direct sunlight, high dry heat, or moisture  and most of all keep them well conditioned.
Just because a bag is shiny does not mean its in good condition.  Sometimes all you see is shine but you maybe looking at a shiny finish which is sitting on top of the skin while below the skin is in trouble.
 So first step is check the bag over while its still closed, look for any cracks starting ,especially in between the scales ,on the bends of the bag, look for lifting scales too... If you see any of these signs start conditioning with the bag still closed so as to prevent placing additional stress on the skin. If the skin doesn't show any signs of cracks or stress go ahead and open it up and get started.
 
 I like to use Luxury Again Lotion wipes for exotic skins, They are handy pre-measured and goof proof. :) Start with a Luxury Again cleansing wipe follow the directions, dry the bag and follow through with the Luxury Again lotion wipe for exotic skins, it will condition beautifully,  and when dry can be brought up to a nice shine with a shine cloth ( I use a professional shine cloth from Luxury Again (but you can se a nice lint free cloth,  like old flannel )... I'll do my best to get some instructions posted...
There are other very good products out there that work nicely on exotic reptile skins, make sure the product is specifically for reptile skins.
 I prefer not to use any products which are very greasy on reptile skins because those kinds of conditioners tend to darken the skins..  additionally if the product seems kind of sticky or waxy sticky, in my opinion so best to avoid them rather than get into trouble.
 
And always test a small hidden area with any intended product and wait 24hrs to make sure everything is going to work  before proceeding to whole panels...
 
 Its best to start with a small amount of product and work in a small area,work in sections. (you can always repeat applications). It's much better to under treat on the first go round than getting in a hurry slathering your bag with product and having a wreck trying to remove excess.
 
 I like to  make small circles with my  leather care product infused cloth, in my dominate hand and put my non dominant hand inside the bag to steady it . I use medium pressure,. when making my small 1.5inch circles , I over lap each circle by half as I move along
What is medium pressure?  well if the pressure would bruise an apple its too much pressure, if it wont bruise a ripe peach its too little pressure, find a happy medium in between .
 
 What order to do the panels?  I always say start with the base, then do each side, then the rear panel followed by the front panel  and last do the flaps, straps and handle .
 
Allow the surface of the bag to become dry ...then buff to a shine with long north south or east west strokes (just pick a direction and stick with it )  I like to fold my buffing cloth a couple of times by wrapping it around my dominant hand (make a hand burrito) keeping the fluffy side out and the canvas side in, keep your non dominant hand inside the bag to stabilize.  Again using medium pressure and with some speed, (here is your mini upper arm work out gals)....long full length across each panel in back and forth strokes until you have a nice shine  (or mellow glow if the skin was matte to begin with)
 
 Good luck
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Love that recto pochette at the top! Thanks for the tips as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I contact your for Hermes services?

    ReplyDelete